It’s Easter! so why not bake something sweet?
Like Hot Cross buns, they are the perfect treat!
Baking together is lots of fun,
And super tasty activity once you’re done!
You will need:
250ml whole milk
1 medium egg
450g white bread flour
50g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
10g fast-action yeast
50g white & dark chocolate chips
50g plain flour
1. Start by placing your milk and butter into a saucepan and gently warming through until the butter has melted. Set to one side and beat in the egg.
2. Place the flour into a bowl and add 50g sugar, salt, cinnamon and cocoa powder to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other. Knead together adding warm milk for 4-5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
3. After, once the dough feels soft and silky, place in a lightly oiled bowl and leave to rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
4. Next, place the risen dough onto the work surface and fold it repeatedly over itself to get rid of any air pockets. Sprinkle chocolate chips and knead until even.
5. Then, divide the dough into 10 pieces and roll into balls. Place evenly spaced on a baking tray, leaving enough space for them to expand. Next, cover them and leave for 1 hour or until larger. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
6. To make the crosses, mix plain flour and a few tsp of water to make a paste. Place the paste into a piping bag and pipe a thin line in a cross shape over each bun.
7. Bake the buns for 15-20 minutes. While the buns are baking, mix together 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp water and heat gently to make a glaze. Remove the buns from the oven and whilst hot, using a pastry brush, paint the glaze on all the tops and allow to cool. Enjoy!
What have you been up to? We’d really love to know! Someone else might love it, and really want to have a go! If you’ve got ideas, suggestions or reviews, you can shout all about it on whatever channel you choose!