Is there anything better than a bit of home baking,
That everyone can take part in making?
Try this classic with the jammy hearts,
So tasty they’re off the charts!
You will need:
225g softened butter
125g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium egg yolks
300g plain flour
A large cookie cutter (heart or circle)
A mini shaped cutter (star or heart looks nice)
- Mix the butter and sugar together until creamy (this is easiest in a mixer or with an electric whisk if you have one). Add in the egg yolks and vanilla extract and continue to mix.
- Sift the flour into the mixture to create the dough. Knead this with your hands until it is smooth, then wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Once cooled, roll out the dough and use the cutter to create 24 biscuits. Put 12 of the shapes to one side (these will be the bases). Using the mini cutter, cut small shapes out of the centre of the remaining 12 circles (to create the ‘window’ bit at the top of the biscuit) We used heart shaped cutters, but you can use whichever shape you like!
- Place all the shapes on a baking tray and cook at 180C for 12 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and cool.
- Once cool spread jam on one of the heart ‘bases’ and then pop one of the smaller heart shapes on the top!
- Enjoy warm with a cup of tea!
What have you been up to? We’d really love to know! Someone else might love it, and really want to go! If you’ve got ideas, suggestions or reviews, you can shout all about it on whatever channel you choose!