In the mood for a yummy snack,
Why not give these tasty pop tarts a crack!
They look amazing and are super easy to make,
Take a pic and send it to us once you’ve completed the bake!
What you will need (Serves 9)
For the pastry:
240g plain flour
200g butter, cut into chunks
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp milk
Pinch of salt
For the strawberry jam filling:
9 heaped tbsp strawberry jam
For the topping:
200g icing sugar
1tsp almond extract
Hundreds and thousands
How to make:
1. Begin, with tipping your flour, caster sugar and salt into a large bowl.
2. Next, add cold cubed butter to the mixture. Mix it all together, until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Mix together 2 egg yolks and water and add to your bowl of dry ingredients. Once you have done this, mix in until a dough forms – this won’t take long!!
4. Next, wrap the pastry in cling film and leave to chill for 30 minutes in the fridge whilst you make the filling.
5. Now it is time to make the filling! Mix the cornflour with 1tbsp of cold water until dissolved. Then, stir in the jam and set aside. Roll out your two pieces of dough on a floured surface into a rectangular shape (roughly A4 size) and then with a pizza cutter or knife cut each sheet into 9 even-sized rectangles. You should have 18 rectangles altogether (as you will two for each pop tart)!
6. Taking two rectangles at a time, brush one entirely with egg before spooning about 1 tbsp of jam filling onto the other and then sandwich together.
7. Transfer to a baking tray and use a fork to press the edges to seal and glaze with egg. Finally, using your fork prick the top too to as this will help to release steam while baking. Repeat this for all of them!
8. Bake at Gas 6/ 200°C/fan 180°C for 22-25 minutes until golden brown.
9. Finally, mix together some icing sugar, vanilla extract and water until thick and spoon over the pastry. … And of course, finish with sprinkles!!!! Enjoy!
Looking for other scrumptious fillings?
You could swap strawberry jam for cherry jam! Or perhaps you and your family have a sweeter tooth? Why not give a cinnamon filling a go! All you need to do is mix together 100g soft brown sugar, 2tsp of cinnamon and 1 tbsp of plain flour. Finally, for all the chocolate lovers out there, use 9 tbsp of chocolate and hazelnut spread for your pop tart fillings. No need to add cornflour for this one either.
🌟 Thank you so much to Kathryn Ardill for this amazing recipe! 🌟
Do you have any creative cake recipes? We’d really love to know! Someone else might love it, and really want to give them a go! If you’ve got ideas, suggestions or reviews, you can shout all about it on whatever channel you choose!