Do you fancy making a homemade Jaffa Cake?
They are delicious and easy to make!
Take a look at our simple recipe for a cake that everyone loves to eat,
Remember to take a picture once they are complete!
What you will need:
For the cakes:
2 large eggs
1/4 caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain flour
For the filling:
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 sachet of gelatine
For the topping:
3/4 dark chocolate, chopped
How to make:
- Begin with making the filling. Place the sugar and orange juice into a saucepan and bring to simmer. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, sprinkle your 1 sachet of gelatine on top. Make sure to stir it in, but do not boil!
2. Now, line a muffin pan with foil and pour 1 tablespoon of the orange mixtures into each whole. Leave these to chill for 1-2 hours until they have completely set.
3. Next, start making the cakes. Preheat your oven to 180c/350F/Gas 4.
4. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the eggs and sugar and beat using a hand mixer until pale and frothy. This should take you about 4-5 minutes. Once you have done this, remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the vanilla and fold in the flour.
5. Next, remove the jelly and foil from the muffin pan and grease your pan ready for the cake mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, roughly 1 tablespoon of batter per muffin hole.
6. Place into the oven to bake for roughly 8-10 minutes. To check the have cooked, you could place a toothpick in the centre to double-check it comes out clean! Make sure to leave these to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before moving them to wire rack to cool completely.
7. Once the cakes have cooled, gently remove the jellies from the foil and place them on top of the cakes. (If you would like your jelly slightly smaller than the cakes, cut out smaller circles from the centre of the jellies before gently pulling them off the foil!)
8. Next, its time to make the topping. To do this, place your chopped dark chocolate into a microwavable bowl and pop in the microwave until it has melted and is smooth. Allow to cool slightly, before getting a spoon and spreading the chocolate over the tops of the jelly. Make sure to gently spread to the edge of the cakes.
9. Finally, for the finishing touch, gently press the time of a fork on top of the chocolate and lift up! Leave to set before tasting your yummy homemade Jaffa Cakes!
Thank you so much to Marsha’s Baking Addiction for this amazing recipe and to Kathryn Adrill for showing us how to make this yummy Jaffa Cakes.
Do you have any creative cake recipes? We’d really love to know! Someone else might love it, and really want to give them a go! If you’ve got ideas, suggestions or reviews, you can shout all about it on whatever channel you choose!