Looking for a twist on a traditional pancake?
This rainbow pancake is simple to make!
A yummy treat and super cute too,
Just be sure to make enough for all of you!
With Pancake Day this upcoming Tuesday, 1st March, the kids are probably desperate to make some yummy pancakes! These rainbow pancakes make a really fun alternative to traditional pancakes.
If you’re worried about your kids getting hyper from the food colouring, many parents on our platform has shared how good Sugar Flair is, as it rarely affects children’s hyperactivity levels. Sugar Flair is also GM free, nut free, gluten free, fat free and suitable halal, vegetarian and kosher diets. Available to buy here!
What you will need (serves 4-6):
135g/4¾oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
Sugar Flair food colouring
130ml/4½fl oz milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter (allowed to cool slightly) or olive oil, plus extra for cooking
How to make:
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
2. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and, using a fork, beat until you have a smooth batter. Any lumps will soon disappear with a little mixing. Let the batter stand for a few minutes.
3. Separate the batter into 5 different bowls and add food colouring to each of the bowls.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it’s melted, add a ladle of batter from one of the bowls (or two if your frying pan is big enough to cook two pancakes at the same time). It will seem very thick but this is how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in) thick.
5. Repeat until all the batter is used up. You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste best fresh out the pan.
6. Serve with lashings of real maple syrup and extra butter if you like. Enjoy!!
What have you been up to? We’d really love to know! Someone else might love it, and really want to go! If you’ve got ideas, suggestions or reviews, you can shout all about it on whatever channel you choose!